It is impossible to work on every skill, every lift, every week, and fit all of that into 3-6, hour long workouts a week. This is fine, and you can get stronger, fitter, faster, and better looking by just taking regular CrossFit classes. But for those of us that want a little extra work, to get even fitter, stronger, skillful, and better looking, we are now providing weekly extra credit work.
Starting THIS week, we will be posting 3-5 things on the WOD Blog, and on the WHITEBOARD closest to the front doors. These things will usually fall under the categories of Barbell, Low-Intensity WOD, Endurance, Core/Abs, and Gymnastics / Skills.
CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE!
These options are for those people who are looking to get MORE out of their time in the gym, AND /OR are also for those who need a break from the intensity of CrossFit on one given day, but still want to come in and do something. These options are posted WEEKLY and are meant to be incorporate into your workouts ( or instead of the WOD, if you need a deload) throughout the week, as you see fit.
Here are some examples of how you might incorporate these into your training:
- Barbell. If you are someone who wants to do MORE lifting in CrossFit, you can choose to come in early to any class, warm up on your own, and do this lift as the class does their warm up. Then you’d hop into the class when they start their strength. This will typically be a lift that we aren’t doing that week in class.
- Endurance. This section is for those who want to increase their aerobic capacity. Again, you can come in early to warm up and do this during the class warm up, you can stay later after the metcon to get this done.
- Low Intensity WOD. This is ideal for Unlimited Members who come almost every day, and sometimes need/want a lower intensity day or a focused “active rest day”. This workout can be done DURING class, as long as you aren’t interrupting class. It’s an alternative to a rest day, and should leave you feeling like you got a good sweat in, but you won’t be sore for days after it.
- Core/Abs. This is for EVERYONE. We could all use more core stability and strength. Find an extra 5-10 minutes each week to do this work after your metcon.
- Gymnastics / Skill. Higher skill movements. like Handstand Push-ups, Pistols, and Muscle-ups. And scaled down versions for those of us that are still working towards those skills.
Again, these are posted weekly, not daily. And they are meant to be done in addition to your regular WODs for the most part.
– Don’t disrupt class. If you are dropping a barbell or going crazy on the Assault Bike or rower, do it nextdoor or outside.
– Warm up properly before you work out. If you are coming in early, make sure you warm up properly before doing this work, as you will be doing it and then hopping right into strength & metcon with class.
– This work needs to be done during business hours only. Please try to fit this into the 15 min before or after class is done, if there are no other classes going on before or after this class.
This is a trial to see if people are willing to work on their weaknesses or to practice the things they enjoy. If it goes well for you, or if you want something a little different, please give us feedback and feel free to suggest additional ways in which we can make your workout experience even better in the future.